Re: Linux guest kernel threat model for Confidential Computing

From: Jonathan Cameron
Date: Thu Jan 26 2023 - 11:07:44 EST

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:15:05 +0100
Samuel Ortiz <sameo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 10:58:47AM +0000, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:24:32 +0100
> > Samuel Ortiz <sameo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Lukas,

> > > Nice, thanks a lot for that.

> > > This may have been discussed at LPC, but are there any plans to also
> > > support confidential computing flows where the host kernel is not part
> > > of the TCB and would not be trusted for validating the device cert chain
> > > nor for running the SPDM challenge?
> >
> > There are lots of possible models for this. One simple option if the assigned
> > VF supports it is a CMA instance per VF. That will let the guest
> > do full attestation including measurement of whether the device is
> > appropriately locked down so the hypervisor can't mess with
> > configuration that affects the guest (without a reset anyway and that
> > is guest visible).
>
> So the VF would be directly assigned to the guest, and the guest kernel
> would create a CMA instance for the VF, and do the SPDM authentication
> (based on a guest provided trusted root certificate). I think one
> security concern with that approach is assigning the VF to the
> (potentially confidential) guest address space without the guest being
> able to attest of the device trustworthiness first. That's what TDISP is
> aiming at fixing (establish a secure SPDM between the confidential guest
> and the device, lock the device from the guest, attest and then enable
> DMA).

Agreed, TDISP is more comprehensive, but also much more complex with
more moving parts that we don't really have yet.

Depending on your IOMMU design (+ related stuff) and interaction with
the secure guest, you might be able to block any rogue DMA until
after attestation / lock down checks even if the Hypervisor was letting
it through.

> > Whether anyone builds that option isn't yet clear
> > though. If they do, Lukas' work should work there as well as for the
> > host OS. (Note I'm not a security expert so may be missing something!)
> >
> > For extra fun, why should the device trust the host? Mutual authentication
> > fun (there are usecases where that matters)
> >
> > There are way more complex options supported in PCIe TDISP (Tee Device
> > security interface protocols). Anyone have an visibility of open solutions
> > that make use of that? May be too new.
>
> It's still a PCI ECN, so quite new indeed.
> FWIW the rust spdm crate [1] implements the TDISP state machine.

Cool. thanks for the reference.