Re: Internal vs. external barriers (was: Re: Interesting LKMM litmus test)

From: Jonas Oberhauser
Date: Wed Jan 25 2023 - 16:12:23 EST

On 1/25/2023 9:36 PM, Andrea Parri wrote:
Why do you want the implementation to forbid it? The pattern of the
litmus test resembles 3+3W, and you don't care whether the kernel allows
that pattern. Do you?
Jonas asked a similar question, so I am answering you both here.

With (say) a release-WRITE_ONCE() chain implementing N+2W for some
N, it is reasonably well known that you don't get ordering, hardware
support otwithstanding. After all, none of the Linux kernel, C, and C++
memory models make that guarantee. In addition, the non-RCU barriers
and accesses that you can use to create N+2W have been in very wide use
for a very long time.

Although RCU has been in use for almost as long as those non-RCU barriers,
it has not been in wide use for anywhere near that long. So I cannot
be so confident in ruling out some N+2W use case for RCU.
Did some archeology... the pattern, with either RCU sync plus a release
or with two full fences plus a release, was forbidden by "ancient LKMM":
the relevant changes were described in

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/paulmck/LWNLinuxMM/WeakModel.html#Coherence%20Point%20and%20RCU

Andrea

Fascinating! It says there "But the weak model allows it, as required" -- what does "as required" mean? Just "as required by dropping the constraint"?

Is there still a notion of "strong model" and "weak model", or was the strong model dropped?

jonas