Re: Internal vs. external barriers (was: Re: Interesting LKMM litmus test)

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed Jan 25 2023 - 10:05:27 EST

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 02:10:08PM +0100, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

> On 1/25/2023 3:20 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > The LKMM says pretty much the same thing. In fact, it says the event
> > > sees the effects of all events po-before the unlock of (not just inside)
> > > any read-side critical section that began prior to the start of the
> > > grace period.

> > > Judging from your description, I don't think we have anything to worry
> > > about.
> > Sounds good, and let's proceed on that assumption then. We can always
> > revisit later if need be.
> >
> > Thanx, Paul
>
> FWIW, I currently don't see a need for either RCU nor "base" LKMM to have
> this kind of guarantee.

In the RCU case, it is because it is far easier to provide this guarantee,
even though it is based on hardware and compilers rather than LKMM,
than it would be to explain to some random person why the access that
is intuitively clearly after the grace period can somehow come before it.

> But I'm curious for why it doesn't exist in LKMM -- is it because of Alpha
> or some other issues that make it hard to guarantee (like a compiler merging
> two threads and optimizing or something?), or is it simply that it seemed
> like a complicated guarantee with no discernible upside, or something else?

Because to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever come up with a
use for 2+2W and friends that isn't better handled by some much more
straightforward pattern of accesses. So we did not guarantee it in LKMM.

Yes, you could argue that my "ease of explanation" paragraph above is
a valid use case, but I am not sure that this is all that compelling of
an argument. ;-)

Thanx, Paul