Re: Google Summer-of-Code 2023

From: Ian Rogers
Date: Tue Jan 24 2023 - 20:01:51 EST

On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 7:45 AM Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Em Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 07:28:26AM -0800, Ian Rogers escreveu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Linux Foundation will apply to be a mentor organization for the
> > Google Summer-of-Code again this year. That application process starts
> > on January 23rd. For the perf tool applying as part of the Linux
> > Foundation, we have a good record of getting the contributors we ask
> > for as part of the program. Contributors are very welcome! For the
> > program we need mentors and project ideas. For mentoring the workload
> > is to review changes, to attend the office hours with the contributor
> > and to fill-in the 2 evaluations. For the project suggestions,
> > anything goes. I've included links to last year's suggestions at the
> > bottom. If you have ideas for projects then please reply to this
> > email!
> >
> > Last year there was confusion over whether people working in industry
> > could be part of the program. Our answer was yes in terms of support,
> > but they wouldn't qualify for the GSoC funding. I'll try to make this
> > clear on our wiki, if it isn't already on the Linux Foundation's.
> >
> > We'd like to continue having the requirements that applications have:
> > 1) what the project will be,
> > 2) a weekly time plan.
> > To make the program run more smoothly this year, we're also going to
> > add a requirement that the contributor has sent a patch to the mailing
> > list. The patch doesn't need to do very much, say a documentation
> > improvement, but I'd like to be strict and say that any application
> > not meeting this bar be rejected. Thoughts about this, improvement
> > ideas, and thoughts on what are good requirements are appreciated.
>
> A project like perf, being out there for quite a while, accumulates tech
> debt, such being a fact of life for any project.
>
> This being so common, I'd encourage people to try and propose to fix
> things not of their liking when trying to build, cross-build, use these
> tools.
>
> Being able to at least voice what you dislike, and possibly get some
> money out of trying to fix it, out in the open, what an opportunity!
>
> Go and try to fix things!
>
> Thanks Ian for year after year to go and take the SOC opportunity to
> improve perf.
>
> - Arnaldo

The GSoC 2023 wiki for perf is now available:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2023-gsoc-perf

GSoC 2023 is trying to further broaden who can participate, and
"newcomers" are eligible. I asked for some clarity on what qualifies
as a newcomer and got the following reply:

"Newcomer" means newcomer in free software coding not newcomer in IT
in general, so people who have only worked in closed-source before or
people who were only managing in open-source but not coding are
eligible.

Thanks,
Ian