Re: [GIT PULL] cacheinfo/arch_topology: Updates for v6.3

From: Sudeep Holla
Date: Tue Jan 24 2023 - 09:43:19 EST

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 02:44:10PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Sudeep,
>
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 1:22 PM Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It has been tested on RISC-V which is the main users outside of arm64.
>
> Has it?

Hmm, I might have mixed up things then. I was on a vacation for quite some
time and might have assumed Conor response on the thread with testing.
Extremely sorry for that. However it was in -next for few days before
Greg applied to his tree.

> > The ACPI the RISC-V parts are acked-by the respective maintainers. All
> > the changes are in the -next for sometime and no issues reported at this
> > time.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sudeep
> >
> > -->8
> >
> > The following changes since commit 1b929c02afd37871d5afb9d498426f83432e71c2:
> >
> > Linux 6.2-rc1 (2022-12-25 13:41:39 -0800)
> >
> > are available in the Git repository at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sudeep.holla/linux.git tags/archtopo-cacheinfo-updates-6.3
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 198102c9103fc78d8478495971947af77edb05c1:
> >
> > cacheinfo: Fix shared_cpu_map to handle shared caches at different levels (2023-01-18 09:58:40 +0000)

> > cacheinfo and arch_topology updates for v6.3
> >
> > The main change is to build the cache topology information for all
> > the CPUs from the primary CPU. Currently the cacheinfo for secondary CPUs
> > is created during the early boot on the respective CPU itself. Preemption
> > and interrupts are disabled at this stage. On PREEMPT_RT kernels, allocating
> > memory and even parsing the PPTT table for ACPI based systems triggers a:
> > 'BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context'
> >
> > To prevent this bug, the cacheinfo is now allocated from the primary CPU
> > when preemption and interrupts are enabled and before booting secondary
> > CPUs. The cache levels/leaves are computed from DT/ACPI PPTT information
> > only, without relying on any architecture specific mechanism if done so
> > early.
> >
> > The other minor change included here is to handle shared caches at
> > different levels when not all the CPUs on the system have the same
> > cache hierarchy.
>
> While this gets rid of the "cacheinfo: Unable to detect cache hierarchy
> for CPU N" warnings printed during boot, it resurrects the printing of
>
> Early cacheinfo failed, ret = -12
>
> during early boot on all my RV64 platforms
>
> See also https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAMuHMdUBZ791fxCPkKQ6HCwLE4GJB2S35QC=SQ+X8w5Q4C_70g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> for a similar earlier version triggering the same issue.

> > Pierre Gondois (6):
> > arch_topology: Build cacheinfo from primary CPU
>
> Reverting commit 5944ce092b97caed ("arch_topology: Build cacheinfo
> from primary CPU") fixes the issue.

OK, thanks for narrowing it to one patch. We will look at it. But does
it work fine even with this errors ? We had seen such a behaviour in the
past. It fails to initialise too early but works at later initcall level
which I am not sure if we investigated why.

--
Regards,
Sudeep