Re: Removal of mga driver from Linux 6.3

From: Thomas Zimmermann
Date: Mon Jan 23 2023 - 04:07:22 EST

Hi

Am 21.01.23 um 23:28 schrieb Chris Rankin:
Hi,

With reference to the recent deletion of the mga driver from Linux 6.3:

I actually own an old machine that still contains a Matrox Millenium II graphics card. This machine has not run X for several yonks, and so the loss of DRM support doesn't concern me.

What would concern me would be losing the graphics frame buffer device (matroxfb), because a VGA console is just too small;

No worries. The matroxfb driver is still there and will remain. Even Xorg should work in principle.

What has been removed is the kernel side for 3d support. But this has been non-functional anyway, as the rsp code in Mesa had been removed long ago.

Best regards
Thomas

CONFIG_FB_MATROX=y
CONFIG_FB_MATROX_MILLENIUM=y