Re: Internal vs. external barriers (was: Re: Interesting LKMM litmus test)

From: Jonas Oberhauser
Date: Fri Jan 20 2023 - 19:04:35 EST

On 1/21/2023 12:19 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 11:36:15PM +0100, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

On 1/20/2023 10:37 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are you [set] up to run LKMM locally at your end?
I don't know what exactly that means. I generally run it on wetware.
But I sometimes ask Hernan to run Dat3M (on his machine) over all the litmus
tests in your repo to spot any obvious problems with variations I consider.
I don't think Dat3M is feature-complete with herd at the moment, just
unbelievably faster. For example I think it ignores all flags in the cat
files.
Oh, I just remembered that I also installed herd7 recently to make sure that
any patches I might send in satisfy herd7 syntax requirements (I think you
called this diagnostic driven development?), but I haven't used it to really
run anything.

Is it too obvious that my words usually aren't backed by cold machine logic?
Well, there was this in one of your messages from earlier today: "I'm not
going to get it right today, am I?" And I freely confess that this led
me to suspect that you might not have been availing yourself of herd7's
opinion before posting. ;-)
The main reason I might usually not consult herd7's opinion is that it often takes a while to write a test case in a way herd7 accepts and treats as intended, but then even so the fact that some tests pass may just give some false confidence when some tricky case is being missed.
So I find the investment/increased confidence ratio to not yet be at the right point to do this when communicating somewhat informally on the mailing list, which is already taking quite a bit of my time (but at least I'm learning a lot during that time about stuff like RCU/SRCU, history of LKMM, etc.).
If I need to be more confident I'll use herd7 to make sure the syntax is correct and as a sanity check, and some paper or Coq proofs to be confident in the logic.

If you feel that I'm wasting the lists' time too much by making these kind of mistakes, let me know and I'll reconsider.

Best wishes, jonas