Re: [PULL] Networking for v6.2-rc5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 20 2023 - 14:21:12 EST

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 9:30 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So I undid my pull and will do your v2,

Side note: that late merge, and its revert is pretty ugly.

It seems to be a pattern that the networking tree has, which is not a
great sign (merging much too eargerly into the wrong branches).

Doing a

git log --grep='Revert "Merge '

does seem to show that this is a networking pattern. Nasty.

But I hope it also means that you know how to deal with the fallout.

In particular, reverting a merge means that re-doing that merge later
will just be a no-op: the original commits are already merged. You'll
need to revert the revert to get the changes back (or you just need to
re-do the whole thing).

Linus