Re: [Jfs-discussion] Should we orphan JFS?

From: Stefan Tibus
Date: Thu Jan 19 2023 - 03:58:18 EST

Hi all,

While I am mostly an ordinary user running Linux on my own machines at
home, I must say that I have been a happy user of JFS from quite early
on on all my Linux installations, for which I use the Debian distro. I
am also using it on external HDDs and SSDs. In the past I have also been
administrator for a few workgroup servers at my university for about 10
years and there we have transitioned from EXT2 and EXT3 to JFS on LVM at
some point. Only recently I have started using BTRFS because of its
additional features on my newest PC. However, I would not make that
transition on older PCs with less resources. And it is some hassle to
convert all existing filesystems to something else.

I cannot provide hard facts like performance or so for the decision to
use JFS. My first contact with journaling file systems had been on a few
AIX (3.x/4.x) machines and later on with JFS on OS/2. So having started
off based on the code of JFS for OS/2 certainly contributed to the
initial level of trust when giving JFS on Linux a try versus EXT4 and it
didn't let me down.

From my perspective it would be sad seeing it removed while other much
older filesystems (or other features) are retained. But I also know that
in the end it depends on the capability, availability and willingness of
developers to maintain it. And, frankly speaking, I really do not know
how much effort it is to keep the code compatible to new kernel
versions.

So this is my vote against orphaning JFS. I still think it is a good
filesystem and certainly useful on systems with less resources where one
would probably not use BTRFS, ZFS or so. But whatever the final decision
will be, I would like to thank you all for contributing to JFS and
keeping it running over the past >20 years.

Best regards
Stefan