Re: another use-after-free in ep_remove_wait_queue()

From: Suren Baghdasaryan
Date: Wed Jan 18 2023 - 22:06:27 EST

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 9:52 AM Suren Baghdasaryan <surenb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 6:26 PM Munehisa Kamata <kamatam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hi Munehisa,
> > > Sorry for the delay. I was trying to reproduce the issue but even
> > > after adding a delay before ep_remove_wait_queue() it did not happen.
> >
> > Hi Suren,
> >
> > Thank you for your help here.
> >
> > Just in case, do you have KASAN enabled in your config? If not, this may
> > just silently corrupt a certain memory location and not immediately
> > followed by obvious messages or noticeable event like oops.
>
> Yes, KASAN was enabled in my build.
>

> > > One thing about wake_up_pollfree() solution that does not seem right
> > > to me is this comment at
> > > https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/include/linux/wait.h#L253:
> > >
> > > `In the very rare cases where a ->poll() implementation uses a
> > > waitqueue whose lifetime is tied to a task rather than to the 'struct
> > > file' being polled, this function must be called before the waitqueue
> > > is freed...`
> > >
> > > In our case we free the waitqueue from cgroup_pressure_release(),
> > > which is the handler for `release` operation on cgroup psi files. The
> > > other place calling psi_trigger_destroy() is psi_fop_release(), which
> > > is also tied to the lifetime to the psi files. Therefore the lifetime
> > > of the trigger's waitqueue is tied to the lifetime of the files and
> > > IIUC, we should not be required to use wake_up_pollfree().
> > > Could you please post your .config file? I might be missing some
> > > configuration which prevents the issue from happening on my side.
> >
> > Sure, here is my config.
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/kamatam9/a078bdd9f695e7a0767b061c60e48d50
> >
> > I confirmed that it's reliably reproducible with v6.2-rc3 as shown below.
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/kamatam9/096a79cf59d8ed8785c4267e917b8675
>
> Thanks! I'll try to figure out the difference.

Sorry for the slow progress on this issue. I'm multiplexing between
several tasks ATM but I did not forget about this one.
Even though I still can't get the kasan UAF report, I clearly see the
wrong order when tracing these functions and forcing the delay before
ep_remove_wait_queue(). I don't think that should be happening, so
something in the release process I think needs fixing. Will update
once I figure out the root cause, hopefully sometime this week.