Re: Internal vs. external barriers (was: Re: Interesting LKMM litmus test)

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed Jan 18 2023 - 19:11:57 EST

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 10:24:50PM +0100, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:

> On 1/18/2023 10:12 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
> > The only difference between srcu_read_lock() and srcu_read_unlock()
> > on the one hand and srcu_down_read() and srcu_up_read() on the other
> > is that a matching pair of srcu_read_lock() and srcu_read_unlock()
> > must be running on the same task. In contrast, srcu_down_read() and
> > srcu_up_read() are not subject to this constraint.
> >
> > > What I was suggesting below is how to redefine "match" between read_down and
> > > read_up that work more like a cross-thread semaphore.
> > Understood, but what I don't understand is why not simply this:
> >
> > let srcu-rscs-down = ([Srcu-down] ; (data | rf)* ; [Srcu-up]) & loc
>
> Oh, I had thought that it should be more like a semaphore rather than just a
> cross-cpu mutex.
>
> Here's an example of how what you are describing would be used:
>
> P0{
>    idx = srcu_down(&ss);
>    store_release(done,1);
> }
>
> P1{
>     while (! load_acquire(done));
>     srcu_up(&ss,idx)
> }

Exactly!!!

> What I was thinking of is more something like this:
>
> P0{
>    idx1 = srcu_down(&ss);
>    srcu_up(&ss,idx1);
> }
>
> P1{
>     idx2 = srcu_down(&ss);
>     srcu_up(&ss,idx2)
> }

And srcu_read_lock() and srcu_read_unlock() already do this.

> where the big difference to srcu_lock/unlock would be that if P0 and P1
> happened to get the same index -- which you could very well check or
> synchronize on -- that you would be guaranteed that the grace period only
> ends once *all* threads that are using this index have called up. (note that
> I believe that your implementation has this property, and some users may
> come to rely on it if they find out!)

They are permitted and encouraged to rely on the fact that
synchronize_srcu() waits until all pre-existing SRCU read-side critical
sections have completed, which I believe is quite close to what you
are saying. But if they want to look at the return values from either
srcu_read_lock() or srcu_down_read(), they would be better off using
either get_state_synchronize_srcu() or start_poll_synchronize_srcu().

Huh. I need to add a NUM_ACTIVE_SRCU_POLL_OLDSTATE, don't I? I first
need to figure out what its value would be.

> If you want this latter kind of guarantee, then you need to do so something
> along the lines of what Alan or I wrote.
>
> If all you need is the ability to use the first scenario, without any
> guarantee that if the index happened to be the same (or providing an API
> where you can do the down with a fixed index provided by P0) the grace
> period will extend, then what you propose should be right.
>
> But from Alan's comments I had misunderstood that that wouldn't be the case.

"What do you need?" "Well, what can be provided?" ;-)

Thanx, Paul