Re: Kernel builds now failing

From: Amy Parker
Date: Mon Jan 16 2023 - 18:14:16 EST

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 11:54 AM Thomas Weißschuh <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I expect this to be due to a change in make 4.4 that ignores SIGPIPEs [0].
> So programs called from make will not receive a SIGPIPE when writing to
> a closed pipe but instead an EPIPE write error.
> `find` does not seem to handle this.

Thank you so much for the clarification! I've also seen reports of
other tools not handling it (such as `yes').

> This behavior in make is new and I can't find a reasoning for it.
> It also breaks other softwares builds.

Are you aware of active discussion regarding this on Savannah, or
should I go and report the effects there?

> For now you can disable CONFIG_IKHEADERS and the build should work
> again.

Alright, thanks. Did that, and re-ran my kernel build (allmodconfig).
All works now.

> [0] make 4.4 was packaged for ArchLinux on 5th of January, so it would
> fit the timeline.

Yep, running Make 4.4.