Re: [net-next: PATCH v4 2/8] net: mdio: switch fixed-link PHYs API to fwnode_

From: Vladimir Oltean
Date: Mon Jan 16 2023 - 13:30:55 EST

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 05:50:13PM +0000, Russell King (Oracle) wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 06:34:14PM +0100, Marcin Wojtas wrote:
> > fixed-link PHYs API is used by DSA and a number of drivers
> > and was depending on of_. Switch to fwnode_ so to make it
> > hardware description agnostic and allow to be used in ACPI
> > world as well.
>
> Would it be better to let the fixed-link PHY die, and have everyone use
> the more flexible fixed link implementation in phylink?

Would it be even better if DSA had some driver-level prerequisites to
impose for ACPI support - like phylink support rather than adjust_link -
and we would simply branch off to a dsa_shared_port_link_register_acpi()
function, leaving the current dsa_shared_port_link_register_of() alone,
with all its workarounds and hacks? I don't believe that carrying all
that logic over to a common fwnode based API is the proper way forward.