Re: [REGRESSION] suspend to ram fails in 6.2-rc1 due to tpm errors

From: Jarkko Sakkinen
Date: Mon Jan 16 2023 - 06:30:52 EST

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 09:22:56PM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> Ugh, while the problem [1] was fixed in 6.1, it's now happening again on
> the T460 with 6.2-rc1. Except I didn't see any oops message or
> "tpm_try_transmit" error this time. The first indication of a problem is
> this during a resume from suspend to ram:
>
> tpm tpm0: A TPM error (28) occurred continue selftest

This failure occurs in tpm_tis_resume().

tpm1_do_selftest() is called for the first time during a power cycle in
tpm_chip_register(), which does not spawn anything klog, does it?

Because they wrap the call differently tpm_tis_resume() does not disable
clkrun protocol, which is at least obvious semantical difference.

I'd suggest to workaround the bug by replacing tpm1_do_selftest() with

1. tpm_chip_start()
2. tpm1_auto_startup()
3. tpm_chip_stop()

tpm1_auto_startup() has already convergent rollback semantics as in

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230105144742.3219571-1-Jason@xxxxxxxxx/

To add, even without bug, it makes a lot of commons to make semantics
convergent.

BR, Jarkko