Re: Should we orphan JFS?

From: Harald Arnesen
Date: Fri Jan 13 2023 - 08:54:15 EST

Christoph Hellwig [13/01/2023 06.42]:

Hi all,

A while ago we've deprecated reiserfs and scheduled it for removal.
Looking into the hairy metapage code in JFS I wonder if we should do
the same. While JFS isn't anywhere as complicated as reiserfs, it's
also way less used and never made it to be the default file system
in any major distribution. It's also looking pretty horrible in
xfstests, and with all the ongoing folio work and hopeful eventual
phaseout of buffer head based I/O path it's going to be a bit of a drag.
(Which also can be said for many other file system, most of them being
a bit simpler, though).

The Norwegian ISP/TV provider used to have IPTV-boxes which had JFS on the hard disk that was used to record TV programmes.

However, I don't think these boxes are used anymore.
--
Hilsen Harald