Re: rseq CPU ID not correct on 6.0 kernels for pinned threads

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Jan 12 2023 - 15:53:13 EST

On 2023-01-12 11:33, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Mathieu Desnoyers:

As you also point out, it can also be caused by some other task
modifying the affinity of your task concurrently. You could print
the result of sched_getaffinity on error to get a better idea of
the expected vs actual mask.

Lastly, it could be caused by CPU hotplug which would set all bits
in the affinity mask as a fallback. As you mention it should not be
the cause there.

Can you share your kernel configuration ?

Attached.

cpupower frequency-info says:

analyzing CPU 0:
driver: intel_cpufreq
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
maximum transition latency: 20.0 us
hardware limits: 800 MHz - 4.60 GHz
available cpufreq governors: conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 4.60 GHz.
The governor "schedutil" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency: Unable to call hardware
current CPU frequency: 3.20 GHz (asserted by call to kernel)
boost state support:
Supported: yes
Active: yes

And I have: kernel.sched_energy_aware = 1

Is this on a physical machine or in a virtual machine ?

I think it happened on both.

I added additional error reporting to the test (running on kernel
6.0.18-300.fc37.x86_64), and it seems that there is something that is
mucking with affinity masks:

info: Detected CPU set size (in bits): 64
info: Maximum test CPU: 19
error: Pinned thread 17 ran on impossible cpu 7
info: getcpu reported CPU 7, node 0
info: CPU affinity mask: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
error: Pinned thread 3 ran on impossible cpu 13
info: getcpu reported CPU 13, node 0
info: CPU affinity mask: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
info: Main thread ran on 2 CPU(s) of 20 available CPU(s)
info: Other threads ran on 20 CPU(s)

For each of these threads, the affinity mask should be a singleton set.
Now I need to find out if there is a process that changes affinity
settings.

If it's not cpu hotunplug, then perhaps something like systemd modifies the AllowedCPUs of your cpuset concurrently ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers