Re: Please, clear statement to what is next LTS linux-kernel

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Wed Jan 11 2023 - 00:22:41 EST

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 09:22:48PM +0100, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> Happy new 2023,
>
> I normally watch [1] for the next LTS linux-kernel which is for me an
> official site and for an official announcement.
>
> On the debian-kernel mailing list you read Linux 6.1 will be the
> official one for Debian-12 aka bookworm.
>
> I saw a phoronix article about EOL of Linux-4.9 [3] which points to [2].
>
> [2] says:
>
> After being prompted on the kernel mailing list, Linux stable
> maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman commented:
> > I usually pick the "last kernel of the year", and based on the normal release cycle, yes, 6.1 will be that kernel.
> > But I can't promise anything until it is released, for obvious reasons.
>
> This is not a clear statement for me and was maybe at a point where
> 6.1 was not released.
>
> If you published a clear statement please point me to it.
> And if so, please update [1] accordingly.
> ( It dropped 4.9 from LTS list recently from [1] - guess Konstantin or
> someone from helpdesk did - so [1] is actively maintained. )
>
> Please, a clear statement.

Why exactly do you need a "clear statement"? What will that change (or
not change) if it is made?

Please see this previous thread for what I need from others before I can
make such a thing:
https://lore.kernel.org/r/Y53BputYK+3djDME@xxxxxxxxx

Can you help answer those questions for your use case please? That will
help us make our decision.

thanks,

greg k-h