Re: Dhrystone -- userland version

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Sun Jan 08 2023 - 00:32:59 EST

On Sat, Jan 07, 2023 at 11:30:15PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Distributions do not usually carry dhrystone, and I don't think anyone
> really maintains it. It is useful tool, and it seems we'll maintain
> it.
>
> I'd like to add enough glue so that it would be runnable from
> userspace, too? Userland version is what is actually useful to me, and
> it should not be hard.

I don't see whatever message you were replying to, and it doesn't seem
to be archived in lore[1], so I'm not sure about the context. But you
are talking about the Dhrystone benchmark[2], right?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/Y7nyd4hPeXsdiibH@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#u
[2] https://wiki.cdot.senecacollege.ca/wiki/Dhrystone_howto

If so, I'm confused what you mean by "add enough glue so that it would
be runnable from userspace" --- Dhrystone is a userspace benchmark,
dating from the 1980's, although what it benchmarks is often more about
the compiler than the CPU's performace.

"When first released, the Dhrystone benchmark fulfilled a useful
function – at least it gave an alternative indicator to vendors’
literal MIPS ratings. However, more than twenty years later, there
are undoubtedly better benchmarks available for measuring processor
performance."

- Ted