Re: [syzbot] [ntfs3?] INFO: task hung in do_user_addr_fault (3)

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Mon Jan 02 2023 - 10:37:47 EST

On Mon, Jan 02, 2023 at 05:24:24PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Since no lockdep annotation is used for e.g. PG_locked bit, this deadlock
> cannot be detected by lockdep...

lockdep, unfortunately, cannot track PG_locked. Lockdep requires that
the lock is released by the acquirer, and sometimes that's true for
PG_locked, but when it's used to do I/O, the PG_locked bit is released
in interrupt/BH context. We could maybe fake it by pretending we release
the folio lock when we submit the I/O. Then we'll have to figure out
how to tell lockdep that it's OK to grab the folio lock multiple times
(if within the same inode, ordered by folio->index; if in different
inodes, ordered by in-memory address of those inodes), and that
submitting an I/O will unlock all of the folios in that I/O. Oh, but
there's cases where we only submit part of a folio in an I/O, and the
lock will only be released when all of the I/Os targetting that folio
have been completed.

It's not impossible, but it is a lot of work and needs a lot of
understanding of filesystems/mm/io.