Re: [oss-security] [patch] proc.5: tell how to parse /proc/*/stat correctly

From: Tavis Ormandy
Date: Tue Dec 27 2022 - 20:55:45 EST

On 2022-12-28, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:
> Dominique Martinet writes:
>
>> But, really, I just don't see how this can practically be said to be parsable...
>
> In its current form it never will be. The solution is to place
> this variable-length field last. Then you can "cut -d ' ' -f 51-"
> to get the command+args part (assuming I counted all those fields
> correctly ...)
>
> Of course, this breaks backwards compatability.

I think that cut command doesn't handle newlines, you probably need cut
-z, which looks a bit hacky to me. There already is 'ps -q $$ -o comm=',
of course, and that works fine - as well as libprocps.

I don't know, I think just adding the strrchr note seems acceptable.

Tavis.

--
_o) $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
/\\ _o) _o) $ finger taviso@xxxxxxx