Re: [net-next] bpf: avoid hashtab deadlock with try_lock

From: Hou Tao
Date: Tue Nov 29 2022 - 20:50:20 EST

Hi Hao,

On 11/30/2022 3:36 AM, Hao Luo wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 9:32 AM Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Just to be clear, I meant to refactor htab_lock_bucket() into a try
>> lock pattern. Also after a second thought, the below suggestion doesn't
>> work. I think the proper way is to make htab_lock_bucket() as a
>> raw_spin_trylock_irqsave().
>>
>> Regards,
>> Boqun
>>
> The potential deadlock happens when the lock is contended from the
> same cpu. When the lock is contended from a remote cpu, we would like
> the remote cpu to spin and wait, instead of giving up immediately. As
> this gives better throughput. So replacing the current
> raw_spin_lock_irqsave() with trylock sacrifices this performance gain.
>
> I suspect the source of the problem is the 'hash' that we used in
> htab_lock_bucket(). The 'hash' is derived from the 'key', I wonder
> whether we should use a hash derived from 'bucket' rather than from
> 'key'. For example, from the memory address of the 'bucket'. Because,
> different keys may fall into the same bucket, but yield different
> hashes. If the same bucket can never have two different 'hashes' here,
> the map_locked check should behave as intended. Also because
> ->map_locked is per-cpu, execution flows from two different cpus can
> both pass.
The warning from lockdep is due to the reason the bucket lock A is used in a
no-NMI context firstly, then the same bucke lock is used a NMI context, so
lockdep deduces that may be a dead-lock. I have already tried to use the same
map_locked for keys with the same bucket, the dead-lock is gone, but still got
lockdep warning.