Re: [Question] Question about supporting sysreg only CoreSight ETMv4.4 on ACPI machines

From: Suzuki K Poulose
Date: Thu Oct 20 2022 - 12:04:49 EST

Hi

On 19/10/2022 03:04, Xiongfeng Wang wrote:
Hi, Suzuki, Anshuman

On 2022/10/18 17:18, Suzuki Kuruppassery Poulose wrote:
Hi,

Cc: Anshuman

On 18/10/2022 03:04, Xiongfeng Wang wrote:
Hi, Suzuki

    We are testing CoreSight ETMv4.4 and TRBE recently. ETMv4.4 obsoletes memory
mapped access to ETM and mandates the system registers. The following commit add
driver for sysreg only devices, but it only support device tree.
   commit 5214b563588e8414193bd7a174c52350256942a6
   coresight: etm4x: Add support for sysreg only devices

ACPI machine can use 'ARMHC500' to report a ETM4x device. But the corresponding
driver is etm4x_amba_driver. It needs memory resouces and doesn't support sysreg
only device.

That is true. Unfortunately, supporting this requires us to move away from the
AMBA framework (at least) for ETM4x devices. This is currently
developed by Anshuman. We can share it as soon as this is complete.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate !
By the way, do we have plan to add ACPI support for TRBE driver? ACPI 6.5 add a

Yes, this is again in our pipeline. But, without the ETE support, TRBE
is literally unusable. So, this will follow the ETE/ETMv4 sysreg ACPI
support.

field 'TRBE Interrupt' in GICC Structure. In the beginning, I plan to add a
platform device when got this IRQ, just like what SPE does in the following commit
commit d24a0c7099b32b6981d7f126c45348e381718350
arm_pmu: acpi: spe: Add initial MADT/SPE probing

But it seems that TRBE still needs _DSD method to report the links(input port
and output port). Do you have some other advices? Thanks a lot.

TRBE doesn't need to specify the input/output ports. It is a per-CPU
sink and the TRBE driver registers it as such for each CPU that it
probes.

Suzuki