Fwd: BISECT result: 6.0.0-RC kernels trigger Firefox snap bug with 6.0.0-rc3 through 6.0.0-rc7

From: Mirsad Goran Todorovac
Date: Sun Oct 16 2022 - 20:43:40 EST

On 16. 10. 2022. 22:19, Phillip Lougher wrote:
On 16/10/2022 20:55, Phillip Lougher wrote:

Tracking down bugs of this sort is always a process of elimination,
and gathering information to pinpoint the exact circumstances of why
it is triggering.

Next step is to download the exact snap(s) where the problems are occurring, as this may provide some insights.

I don't run Ubuntu, and I don't use snaps.  Can you provide the
download link(s) of the snap(s) that cause problems?  If there's
any firefox snaps that don't cause problems those will be useful
too.

It appears there's a searchable "Snap Store" https://snapcraft.io,
but, it doesn't give any download links to the actual snaps which
is rather annoying.

Does anyone know how to get the download link?  I have not run
Ubuntu for over 14 years and have absolutely no wish to do so
now either.

Thanks

Phillip

You don't mention if there's any errors present in "dmesg" when
this happens, and so I'm assuming there aren't any?

Phillip

Hi, Phillip,

No, there weren't anynew iterms in dmesg -l err output other than these usual ones, common to the situations
where the Firefox in snap is working. Only the kernel version is different.

I have managed to reproduce the situation on AlmaLinux 8.6 by installing the snapd rpm and then running
a regular "snap install firefox". NOTE: I had to manually enable squashfs kernel module.

Otherwise, the Ubuntu 22.04 Firefox 104.x and 105.0.x snaps are also the default Firefox snaps from the snap store.

The only exception is that I used 15+ windows and over 200 tabs in the testing case, many multimedia Youtube
channels, Yahoo mail, Outlook mail, and quite a few websites. This combination triggers the Verdeen errors very
quickly (only on vulnerable 6.0 kernels, on 5.19.x kernels it works like a charm).

Thank you.

It is obvious that the snapd + squashfs + Firefox combination triggers the bug under heavy load (both on Ubuntu
22.04 jammy and AlmaLinux 8.6.

Hope this helps.

Optionally, I could send the Firefox list of opened windows and tabs if I knew where the snaps store it. With the
/usr/bin/firefox version I knew it.

Kind regards,
Mirsad

--