Re: Linux 6.0-rc6

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Sep 19 2022 - 00:07:02 EST

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 01:56:17PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So this is an artificially small -rc release, because this past week
> we had the Maintainers' Summit in Dublin (along with OSS EU and LPC
> 2022), so we've had a lot of maintainers traveling.
>
> Or - putting my ridiculously optimistic hat on - maybe things are just
> so nice and stable that there just weren't all that many fixes?
>
> Yeah, I know which scenario I'm betting on, but hope springs eternal.
>
> Regardless, things look fine. I am expecting rc7 to be larger than
> usual due to pull requests having shifted one week later, and in the
> worst case that might mean that I might feel like we need an extra
> rc8, but for now I'm going to assume it's not going to be _that_
> noticeable and hope we'll just keep to the regular schedule.
>
> But it would be lovely if everybody gave this some extra tender loving
> care in the form of extra testing...

Build results:
total: 149 pass: 149 fail: 0
Qemu test results:
total: 490 pass: 489 fail: 1
Failed tests:
mcf5208evb:m5208:m5208evb_defconfig:initrd

TL;DR: Patches / reverts needed to fix known regressions

Revert "net: fec: Use a spinlock to guard `fep->ptp_clk_on`"
Revert "fec: Restart PPS after link state change"
revert b353b241f1eb
revert f79959220fa5
Rationale:
The patches result in various tracebacks and crashes.
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20220827160922.642zlcd5foopozru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

The need to revert those patches has been discussed repeatedly,
so going into details seems pointless.

Guenter