Re: stalling IO regression since linux 5.12, through 5.18

From: Chris Murphy
Date: Tue Aug 16 2022 - 11:35:02 EST

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022, at 11:25 AM, Nikolay Borisov wrote:
> On 16.08.22 г. 17:22 ч., Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> git log --oneline --no-merges v5.11..c03c21ba6f4e > bisect.txt
>>>
>>> I tried checking out a33df75c6328, which is right before the first bfq
>>> commit, but that kernel won't boot the hardware.
>>>
>>> Next I checked out v5.12, then reverted these commits in order (that
>>> they were found in the bisect.txt file):
>>>
>>> 7684fbde4516 bfq: Use only idle IO periods for think time calculations
>>> 28c6def00919 bfq: Use 'ttime' local variable
>>> 41e76c85660c bfq: Avoid false bfq queue merging
>>> 71217df39dc6 block, bfq: make waker-queue detection more robust
>>> 5a5436b98d5c block, bfq: save also injection state on queue merging
>>> e673914d52f9 block, bfq: save also weight-raised service on queue merging
>>> d1f600fa4732 block, bfq: fix switch back from soft-rt weitgh-raising
>>> 7f1995c27b19 block, bfq: re-evaluate convenience of I/O plugging on rq arrivals
>>> eb2fd80f9d2c block, bfq: replace mechanism for evaluating I/O intensity
>>> 2391d13ed484 block, bfq: do not expire a queue when it is the only busy
>>> one
>>> 3c337690d2eb block, bfq: avoid spurious switches to soft_rt of
>>> interactive queues
>>> 91b896f65d32 block, bfq: do not raise non-default weights
>>> ab1fb47e33dc block, bfq: increase time window for waker detection
>>> d4fc3640ff36 block, bfq: set next_rq to waker_bfqq->next_rq in waker
>>> injection
>>> b5f74ecacc31 block, bfq: use half slice_idle as a threshold to check
>>> short ttime
>>>
>>> The two commits prefixed by >>> above were not previously mentioned by
>>> Jens, but I reverted them anyway because they showed up in the git log
>>> command.
>>>
>>> OK so, within 10 minutes the problem does happen still. This is
>>> block/bfq-iosched.c resulting from the above reverts, in case anyone
>>> wants to double check what I did:
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ykU7MpmylJuXVobODWiiaLJk-XOiAjSt/view?usp=sharing
>>
>> Any suggestions for further testing? I could try go down farther in the bisect.txt list. The problem is if the hardware falls over on an unbootable kernel, I have to bug someone with LOM access. That's a limited resource.
>>

> How about changing the scheduler either mq-deadline or noop, just to see
> if this is also reproducible with a different scheduler. I guess noop
> would imply the blk cgroup controller is going to be disabled

I already reported on that: always happens with bfq within an hour or less. Doesn't happen with mq-deadline for ~25+ hours. Does happen with bfq with the above patches removed. Does happen with cgroup.disabled=io set.

Sounds to me like it's something bfq depends on and is somehow becoming perturbed in a way that mq-deadline does not, and has changed between 5.11 and 5.12. I have no idea what's under bfq that matches this description.

--
Chris Murphy