Re: perf tools man pages on the web

From: Ian Rogers
Date: Tue Aug 16 2022 - 09:25:51 EST

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 11:05 PM Adrian Hunter <adrian.hunter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16/08/22 08:07, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> > Hi Ian and Adrian,

> >> Sounds good to me. I'm assuming it would be some kind of build step
> >> that would take the man pages and add them to what linux-doc needs?
> >
> > I guess it's the RST format. I'm not sure if there's a converter
> > from asciidoc to RST.
>
> Could use the html files that are already generated by:
>
> make -C perf/tools html

A lot of the man page makefile code comes from git and wasn't in great
shape the last I looked [1]. I believe that would be true for the HTML
output. As there are existing dependencies on rst2man for BPF [2], I
think it'd be cleaner to migrate all the man pages to rst format with
new man page build rules using rst2man. Wdyt?

Thanks,
Ian

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210715013343.2286699-1-irogers@xxxxxxxxxx/
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/tools/include/uapi/linux/bpf.h#n1538