Re: [Regression] ext4: changes to mb_optimize_scan cause issues on Raspberry Pi

From: Stefan Wahren
Date: Sat Aug 06 2022 - 11:24:17 EST

Hi,

Am 31.07.22 um 22:42 schrieb Stefan Wahren:
Hi Jan,

Am 28.07.22 um 12:00 schrieb Jan Kara:

Also can get filesystem metadata image of your card like:
   e2image -r <fs-device> - | gzip >/tmp/ext4-image.gz

and put it somewhere for download? The image will contain only fs metadata,
not data so it should be relatively small and we won't have access to your
secrets ;). With the image we'd be able to see how the free space looks
like and whether it perhaps does not trigger some pathological behavior.
i've problems with this. If i try store uncompressed the metadata of the second SD card partition (/dev/sdb2 = rootfs) the generated image file is nearly big as the whole partition. In compressed state it's 25 MB. Is this expected?

This performance regression is also reproducible with 5.19 kernel (arm64, defconfig) and 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS. Unfortunately the problem with metadata generation is the same, the generated uncompressed file is 15 GB.