Re: New subsystem for acceleration devices

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Wed Aug 03 2022 - 15:05:05 EST

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 at 22:04, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Greg and I talked a couple of months ago about preparing a new accel
> subsystem for compute/acceleration devices that are not GPUs and I
> think your drivers that you are now trying to upstream fit it as well.

We've had some submissions for not-GPUs to the drm subsystem recently.

Intel GNA, Intel VPU, NVDLA, rpmsg AI processor unit.

why is creating a new subsystem at this time necessary?

Are we just creating a subsystem to avoid the open source userspace
consumer rules? Or do we have some concrete reasoning behind it?

Dave.