[Query] Looking for comments on CONFIG_SPI_SPIDEV and CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV interfaces security

From: Prasad Sodagudi
Date: Tue May 31 2022 - 11:25:32 EST

Hi All,

I am working on an IoT solution and would like to understand security impact of these two CONFIG_SPI_SPIDEV and CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV interfaces of Linux. If a driver is developed from userspace for /dev/spiX.Y or /dev/i2c interfaces, are there any security concerns ?

Userspace driver is to control external SPI slave on board. I heard that these interfaces allows access to any of these type of devices on board. How to avoid accessing any of these type of unwanted device access from userspace ? Can Selinux or any mechanism control access to other these type of devices from user-space ?

Please share your comments/findings on these two interfaces related to security. If community had posted any security related discussions with these interfaces, please share details to improve understanding.

-Thanks, Prasad