Re: mainline build failure due to f1e4c916f97f ("drm/edid: add EDID block count and size helpers")

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue May 31 2022 - 04:04:45 EST

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 8:26 AM Julia Lawall <Julia.Lawall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I wonder if this is something that could be caught with coccinelle. Or
> >> sparse. Are there any cases where this combo is necessary? (I can't
> >> think of any, but it's a low bar. ;)

> >> Why is this the case, though? I'd imagine the compiler could figure this
> >> out.
> >
> > When you annotate the entire structure as __packed without an
> > extra __aligned() annotation, the compiler has to assume that the
> > structure itself is unaligned as well. On many of the older architectures,
> > this will result in accessing the values one byte at a time. Marking
> > the structure as "__packed __aligned(8)" instead would be harmless.
> >
> > When I have a structure with a few misaligned members, I generally
> > prefer to only annotate the members that are not naturally aligned,
> > but this approach is not very common.
>
> Searching for specific types in a packed structure would be easy.

As an experiment: what kind of results would we get when looking
for packed structures and unions that contain any of these:

- spinlock_t
- atomic_t
- dma_addr_t
- phys_addr_t
- size_t
- any pointer
- any enum
- struct mutex
- struct device

This is just a list of common data types that are used in a lot of
structures but that one should never find in hardware specific
types. If the output from coccinelle is 90% actual bugs, this would
be really helpful. OTOH if there is no output at all, or all
false-positives, we don't need to look for additional types.

> Coccinelle could duplicate the structure without the packed and see if
> any offsets change, using build bug on, but that would be architecture
> specific so maybe not useful.

I would consider this a separate issue. The first one above is for identifying
structures that are marked as packed but should not be packed at
all, regardless of whether that changes the layout.

Arnd