Re: mainline build failure due to f1e4c916f97f ("drm/edid: add EDID block count and size helpers")

From: Jani Nikula
Date: Mon May 30 2022 - 09:10:46 EST

On Mon, 30 May 2022, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 11:33 AM Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> That is, for EDID. Makes you wonder about all the other packed structs
>> with enum members across the kernel.
>
> It is not the 'enum' that is special here, it's the 'union' having
> unpacked members,

Obviously meant union not enum, that was just a -ENOCOFFEE on my part.

> and the same thing happens when you have nested structs: both the inner
> and the outer aggregate need to be packed, either with __packed at the
> end, or on each individual member that is not fully aligned to
> max(sizeof(member), 4)).
>
> I think in general, most __packed annotations we have in the kernel are
> completely pointless because they do not change the structure layout on
> any architecture but instead just make member access slower on

Please explain.

They are used quite a bit for parsing blob data, or
serialization/deserialization, like in the EDID case at hand. Try
removing __attribute__((packed)) from include/drm/drm_edid.h and see the
sizeof(struct edid) on any architecture.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center