Re: mainline build failure due to f1e4c916f97f ("drm/edid: add EDID block count and size helpers")

From: Sudip Mukherjee
Date: Fri May 27 2022 - 19:41:27 EST

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 7:56 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 2:07 AM Sudip Mukherjee
> <sudipm.mukherjee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > declared with attribute error: BUILD_BUG_ON failed: sizeof(*edid) != EDID_LENGTH
> >
> > And, reverting it on top of mainline branch has fixed the build failure.
>
> Hmm. That BUILD_BUG_ON() looks entirely correct, and if that sizeof()
> doesn't work, then the code doesn't work.

<snip>

> Very strange. It would be interesting to know where that sizeof goes
> wrong, but it would seem to be something very peculiar to your build
> environment (either that config, or your compiler).

I just tested with various values, sizeof(*edid) is 144 bytes at that place.

My last good build was with fdaf9a5840ac ("Merge tag 'folio-5.19' of
git://git.infradead.org/users/willy/pagecache")
And my setup has not changed in anyway since then. Also verified the
build failure on my laptop.

--
Regards
Sudip