Re: Bug when mapping designware PCIe MSI msg

From: William McVicker
Date: Wed May 25 2022 - 18:39:10 EST

On 05/24/2022, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 2:06 PM William McVicker
> <willmcvicker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been debugging a PCIe dma mapping issue and I believe I have tracked the
> > bug down to how the designware PCIe host driver is mapping the MSI msg. In
> > commit 07940c369a6b ("PCI: dwc: Fix MSI page leakage in suspend/resume") [1],
> > the PCIe driver was re-worked to drop allocating a page for the MSI msg in
> > favor of using an address from the driver data. Then in commit 660c486590aa
> > ("PCI: dwc: Set 32-bit DMA mask for MSI target address allocation") [2],
> > a 32-bit DMA mask was enforced for this MSI msg address in order to support
> > both 32-bit and 64-bit MSI address capable hardware. Both of these changes
> > together expose a bug on hardware that supports an MSI address greather than
> > 32-bits. For example, the Pixel 6 supports a 36-bit MSI address and therefore
> > calls:
> >
> > dma_set_mask_and_coherent(&pdev->dev, DMA_BIT_MASK(36));
> >
> > Before [2], this was fine because getting an address for the driver data that
> > was less than or equal to 36-bits was common enough to not hit this issue, but
> > after [2] I started hitting the below DMA buffer overflow when the driver data
> > address was greater than 32-bits:
> >
> > exynos-pcie-rc 14520000.pcie: DMA addr 0x000000088536d908+2 overflow (mask ffffffff, bus limit 0).
> > : WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 8 at kernel/dma/direct.h:99 dma_map_page_attrs+0x254/0x278
> > Hardware name: Oriole DVT (DT)
> > Workqueue: events_unbound deferred_probe_work_func
> > pstate : 60400005 (nZCv daif +PAN -UAO -TCO -DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
> > pc : dma_map_page_attrs+0x254/0x278
> > lr : dma_map_page_attrs+0x250/0x278
> > sp : ffffffc0080938b0
> > Call trace:
> > : dma_map_page_attrs+0x254/0x278
> > : dma_map_single_attrs+0xdc/0x10c
> > : dw_pcie_host_init+0x4a0/0x78c
> > : exynos_pcie_rc_add_port+0x7c/0x104 [pcie_exynos_gs]
> > : exynos_pcie_rc_probe+0x4c8/0x6ec [pcie_exynos_gs]
> > : platform_probe+0x80/0x200
> > : really_probe+0x1cc/0x458
> > : __driver_probe_device+0x204/0x260
> > : driver_probe_device+0x44/0x4b0
> > : __device_attach_driver+0x200/0x308
> > : __device_attach+0x20c/0x330
> >

> > The underlying issue is that using the driver data (which can be a 64-bit
> > address) for the MSI msg mapping causes a DMA_MAPPING_ERROR when the dma mask
> > is less than 64-bits. I'm not familiar enough with the dma mapping code to
> > suggest a full-proof solution to solve this; however, I don't think reverting
> > [1] is a great solution since it addresses a valid issue and reverting [2]
> > doesn't actually solve the bug since the driver data address isn't restricted
> > by the dma mask.
> >
> > I hope that helps explain the issue. Please let me know your thoughts on how we
> > should address this.
>
> I think the alloc for the msi_msg just needs a GFP_DMA32 flag.
> Unfortunately that is done in each driver and would be kind of odd.

> [...]

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response! I agree using a separate alloc sounds best. I went
ahead and verified this works on my end without any issues and pushed [1]. I
believe the memory leak should be fixed by allocating within
dw_pcie_host_init() since that should only be called in the PCIe probe path and
not suspend/resume.

Please take a look.

Thanks,
Will