Re: [GIT PULL] nolibc changes for v5.19

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 23 2022 - 17:13:51 EST

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 2:04 PM Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 10:50:43PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 01:30:37PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > You speak the words, but you don't actually look at what it does.
> > >
> > > Try it.
> >
> > Why are you saying this ? I've figured the commands by trying
> > each of them.

Try this:

make tools/help

and then actually *LOOK* at what it prints out.

Notice how it says 'nolibc' is a target here.

And then think about it. Just for fun, try doing

make -C tools/ nolibc
make -C tools/ nolibc_install

like that help message implies you should do.

Does it work? No.

> work the same on all commands but actually:
>
> make -C tools/ nolibc_headers

Put another way: where did you find that "nolibc_headers"?

THAT is what I'm talking about. You are mentioning all these magical
things that don't match the documentation you yourself added.

Linus