Re: [syzbot] WARNING in follow_hugetlb_page

From: Minchan Kim
Date: Sat May 21 2022 - 11:24:10 EST

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 05:04:22PM -0700, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> On 5/20/22 16:43, Minchan Kim wrote:

> >> I do not think case 2 can happen. A hugetlb page can only be changed back
> >> to 'normal' (buddy) pages when ref count goes to zero.
> >>
> >> It should also be noted that hugetlb code sets up the CMA area from which
> >> hugetlb pages can be allocated. This area is never unreserved/freed.
> >>
> >> I do not think there is a reason to disallow long term pinning of hugetlb
> >> pages allocated from THE hugetlb CMA area.
> >>
> >> But, I wonder if it is possible for hugetlb pages to be allocated from
> >> another (non-hugetlb) area. For example if someone sets up a huge CMA area
> >> and hugetlb allocations spill over into that area. If this is possible
> >> (still need to research), then we would not want to long term pin such
> >> hugetlb pages. We can check this in the hugetlb code to determine if
> >> long term pinning is allowed.
> >
> > I don't think it's possible because cma_alloc needs "struct cma" just
> > like handle and VM doesn't maintain any fallback list of cma chains
> > so unless someone could steal the handle somehow, there is no way to
> > claim memory others reserved for the CMA purpose.
>
> I was thinking about the case where a hugetlb page is allocated via
> __alloc_pages(). Not sure if that can fall back to a CMA area that
> someone else might have created/reserved.
>
> Unless I do not understand, normal movable memory allocations can fall
> back to CMA areas?

In the case, Yes, it would be fallback if gfp_flag was __GFP_MOVABLE.

If HugeTLB support it(I think so), pin_user_pages with FOLL_LONGTERM
will migrate the page out of movable/CMA before the longterm pinning
so IMHO, we shouldn't have the problem.

__gup_longterm_locked
__get_user_pages_locked
check_and_migrate_movable_pages