Re: [patch 0/9] scripts/spdxcheck: Better statistics and exclude handling

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Mon May 16 2022 - 14:52:58 EST

On Mon, May 16 2022 at 15:14, Max Mehl wrote:
> Thank you for picking up the effort to add license (and perhaps also
> copyright) info to all files in the Kernel.

Adding copyright notices retroactively is not going to happen
ever. That's just impossible.

>> The exclude of files and directories is hardcoded in the script which makes
>> it hard to maintain and the information cannot be accessed by external tools.
>
> Unfortunately, excluding files (i.e. not adding machine-readable
> license/copyright information to it) would also block reaching full
> compliance with the REUSE best practices. Have you considered making
> them available under GPL-2.0-only or a license similar to public domain
> [^2]?

The LICENSE directory is already handled by spdxcheck as the license
information is read from there. And no, we cannot add a GPL-2.0-only
identifier to all of the files under the LICENSE directory for obvious
reasons.

license-rules.rst is not longer a problem as all incarnations have a
proper SPDX identifier today.

Thanks,

tglx