Re: 9p EBADF with cache enabled (Was: 9p fs-cache tests/benchmark (was: 9p fscache Duplicate cookie detected))

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Date: Fri May 06 2022 - 15:15:37 EST

On Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2022 23:48:47 CEST asmadeus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Christian Schoenebeck wrote on Wed, May 04, 2022 at 08:33:36PM +0200:
> > On Dienstag, 3. Mai 2022 12:21:23 CEST asmadeus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > - add some complex code to track the exact byte range that got updated
> > >
> > > in some conditions e.g. WRONLY or read fails?
> > > That'd still be useful depending on how the backend tracks file mode,
> > > qemu as user with security_model=mapped-file keeps files 600 but with
> > > passthrough or none qemu wouldn't be able to read the file regardless of
> > > what we do on client...
> > > Christian, if you still have an old kernel around did that use to work?
> >
> > Sorry, what was the question, i.e. what should I test / look for
> > precisely? :)
> I was curious if older kernel does not issue read at all, or issues read
> on writeback fid correctly opened as root/RDRW
>
> You can try either the append.c I pasted a few mails back or the dd
> commands, as regular user.
>
> $ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=1
> $ chmod 400 test
> # drop cache or remount
> $ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test bs=102 seek=2 count=1 conv=notrunc
> dd: error writing 'test': Bad file descriptor

Seems you were right, the old kernel opens the file with O_RDWR.

The following was taken with cache=loose, pre-netfs kernel version, using your
append code and file to be appended already containing 34 bytes, relevant file is fid 7:

v9fs_open tag 0 id 12 fid 7 mode 2
v9fs_open_return tag 0 id 12 qid={type 0 version 1651854932 path 3108899} iounit 4096
v9fs_xattrwalk tag 0 id 30 fid 5 newfid 8 name security.capability
v9fs_rerror tag 0 id 30 err 95
v9fs_read tag 0 id 116 fid 7 off 0 max_count 4096
v9fs_read_return tag 0 id 116 count 34 err 45
v9fs_read tag 0 id 116 fid 7 off 34 max_count 4062
v9fs_read_return tag 0 id 116 count 0 err 11
v9fs_clunk tag 0 id 120 fid 6
v9fs_clunk tag 0 id 120 fid 4
[delay]
v9fs_write tag 0 id 118 fid 7 off 0 count 39 cnt 1
v9fs_write_return tag 0 id 118 total 39 err 11
v9fs_fsync tag 0 id 50 fid 7 datasync 0

BTW to see this protocol debug output with QEMU:

cd qemu/build
../configure --enable-trace-backends=log ...
make -jN
./qemu-system-x86_64 -trace 'v9fs*' ...

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck