Re: [RFC v2 10/39] gpio: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies

From: William Breathitt Gray
Date: Tue May 03 2022 - 10:03:50 EST

On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 01:08:04PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> [...]

That's true, it does seem somewhat backwards to have a depends on line
when the bus is really just providing the support for devices that want
to use it rather than requiring it. Do you think a HAVE_IOPORT line
should be added independently for each driver instead of adding it to
ISA_BUS?

> Now, maybe, the drivers should be using some ioremap variant and
> then calling ioread8() rather than directly calling inb().
> But that seems orthogonal to this changeset.
>
> David
>
> -
> Registered Address Lakeside, Bramley Road, Mount Farm, Milton Keynes, MK1 1PT, UK
> Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

Using ioremap() does have the benefit of making it easier to reuse the
code for some of these PC104 drivers with their PCI device variants; the
ioread8() calls and such can stay the same and we just initialize to the
proper address during probe. I plan to look into this in the future
then.

William Breathitt Gray