Re: clang-format inconsistencies with checkpatch.pl

From: Mickaël Salaün
Date: Mon May 02 2022 - 06:29:36 EST

On 23/04/2022 18:14, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
Hi Mickaël,

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 1:45 PM Mickaël Salaün <mic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also noticed that there is some clang-format configuration lines that
are commented because of incompatibilities with versions older than 6.
Shouldn't we require a minimal version, at least the 6th?

I will be increasing this cycle the version to 11, which is the
minimum LLVM supported at the moment, and then keep it sync'd to that
minimum.

OK, thanks.

About checkpatch.pl, it incorrectly warns about space between function
name and open parenthesis for *for_each* functions (specifically
interpreted as "for" statements in .clang-format, e.g. list_for_each_entry).

Note that the prevailing kernel style is to not have a space. This
should be fixed with the increase to 11.

I was talking about the ForEachMacros exceptions. Should these be removed or at least not updated for new for_each functions [1]?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20220412153906.428179-1-mic@xxxxxxxxxxx