Re: [RFC PULL] remove arch/h8300

From: Greg Ungerer
Date: Sat Apr 09 2022 - 00:14:23 EST

On 9/4/22 10:24, Rob Landley wrote:
On 4/5/22 08:07, Greg Ungerer wrote:
On 5/4/22 13:23, Daniel Palmer wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 at 22:42, Greg Ungerer <gerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But we could consider the Dragonball support for removal. I keep it compiling,
but I don't use it and can't test that it actually works. Not sure that it
has been used for a very long time now. And I didn't even realize but its
serial driver (68328serial.c) was removed in 2015. No one seems too have
noticed and complained.

I noticed this and I am working on fixing it up for a new Dragonball
homebrew machine.
I'm trying to add a 68000 machine to QEMU to make the development
easier because I'm currently waiting an hour or more for a kernel to
load over serial.
It might be a few months.

I've been booting Linux on qemu-system-m68k -M q800 for a couple years now? (The
CROSS=m68k target of mkroot in toybox?)

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
CPU: 68040
MMU: 68040
FPU: 68040
Clocking: 1261.9MHz
BogoMips: 841.31
Calibration: 4206592 loops

It certainly THINKS it's got m68000...

$ qemu-system-m68k -cpu ?
cfv4e
m5206
m5208
m68000
m68010
m68020
m68030
m68040
m68060
any

(I'd love to get an m68k nommu system working but never sat down and worked out
a kernel .config qemu agreed to run, plus compiler and libc. Musl added m68k
support but I dunno if that includes coldfire?)

I run and test all development rc and release kernels on the qemu m5208 target
(that is a ColdFire v2 nommu core, the "-machine mcf5208evb" qemu target).
Of course I test real hardware as well :-)

The kernel's m5208evb_defconfig works for qemu. Though you will need to sort
out a user space to get to a login/shell. I mostly use the last uClibc for
that.

It looked like 68328serial.c was removed because someone tried to
clean it up and it was decided that no one was using it and it was
best to delete it.
My plan was to at some point send a series to fix up the issues with
the Dragonball support, revert removing the serial driver and adding
the patch that cleaned it up.

Nice. I will leave all the 68000/68328 code alone for now then.

The q800 config uses CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG. Seems to work fine?

Sure, but the Dragonball are a 68328 SoC family. Its serial hardware block
is different, needs a different driver. At least all the ColdFire parts
use the same internal hardware serial block.

Regards
Greg