Re: drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.prelink.o: warning: objtool: __intel_wait_for_register_fw.cold()+0xce: relocation to !ENDBR: vlv_allow_gt_wake.cold+0x0

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Apr 06 2022 - 12:49:22 EST

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 22:32:51 -0700
Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > See the comment in the header file you are patching:
> >
> > * This is intended as a debugging tool for the developer only.
> > * Please refrain from leaving trace_printks scattered around in
> > * your code. (Extra memory is used for special buffers that are
> > * allocated when trace_printk() is used.)
>
> So what do we do ... send a nastygram?

We already do. When anything with a trace_printk() is loaded, the dmesg
will display:

** NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE **
** **
** trace_printk() being used. Allocating extra memory. **
** **
** This means that this is a DEBUG kernel and it is **
** unsafe for production use. **
** **
** If you see this message and you are not debugging **
** the kernel, report this immediately to your vendor! **
** **
** NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE **

:-)

-- Steve