Re: [RFC 08/10] platform/x86/intel/ifs: Add IFS sysfs interface

From: Joseph, Jithu
Date: Mon Mar 07 2022 - 14:55:44 EST

On 3/7/2022 11:15 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 11:09 AM Joseph, Jithu <jithu.joseph@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That begs the question why would userspace be polling this file? Is it
>>> because it does not know when a test completes otherwise? How does it
>>> know that the result it is seeing is from the test it ran and not some
>>> other invocation to start a new test?
>>
>> I think I should have explained the need for locking at a higher level .
>> It is to make sure that only one of the below action happens at any time
>>
>> 1. single percpu test
>> 2. all-cpu test (tests all cores sequentially)
>> 3. scan binary reload
>> 4. querying the status
>>
>> (There are h/w reasons for why we restrict to a single IFS test at any time)
>> If 4 happens while 1 or 2 is in progress , we return busy. My earlier explanation was trying to explain why we are preventing 4 when 1 or 2 is in progress.
>>
>> As to the question of why would a user do 4 while 1 or 2 is in progress, there is no reason for him to do that, both the run_test (percpu and global) are blocking.
>> But if he issues a test from one shell and uses another shell to query the status (while it is still in progress) he will see busy.
>
> ...and what about the race that the semaphore cannot solve of test run
> launch racing collection of previous run results?

pardon me if I am missing something obvious here … but everybody (the 4 scenarios listed above) tries to acquire the same semaphore, or returns -EBUSY if try_lock() fails.
So in case of triggering "run_test" and viewing "status" racing scenario you mention, the below are the 2 interleaving I see

if "echo 1 > /sys/devices/sysem/cpu/cpu10/ifs/run_test" gets the lock , the parallel "cat /sys/devices/sysem/cpu/cpu10/ifs/status" will return busy (and not the previous status)
if "cat /sys/devices/sysem/cpu/cpu10/ifs/status", gets the lock it will display the status of the last test result and the parallel "echo 1 > /sys/devices/sysem/cpu/cpu10/ifs/run_test" will fail with busy

This I believe is consistent behavior.