RE: [RFC 07/10] platform/x86/intel/ifs: Create kthreads for online cpus for scan test

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Mon Mar 07 2022 - 12:47:22 EST

>> These are software(driver) defined error codes. Rest of the error codes are supplied by
>> the hardware. Software defined error codes were kept at the other end to provide ample space
>> in case (future) hardware decides to provide extend error codes.
>
> Why put them in the same number space? Separate software results from
> the raw hardware results and have a separate mechanism to convey each.

We wanted to include in the "details" file, which is otherwise a direct copy of
the SCAN_STATUS MSR. Making sure the software error codes didn't overlap
with any h/w generated codes seemed like a good idea.

But maybe we should have done this with additional string values in the status
file:

Current:

pass
untested
fail

Add a couple of new options for the s/w cases:

sw_timeout
sw_retries_exceeded

-Tony