Re: Report 2 in ext4 and journal based on v5.17-rc1

From: Byungchul Park
Date: Wed Mar 02 2022 - 20:37:09 EST

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 04:25:04PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 11:14:44AM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> > > case 1. Code with an actual circular dependency, but not deadlock.
> > >
> > > A circular dependency can be broken by a rescue wakeup source e.g.
> > > timeout. It's not a deadlock. If it's okay that the contexts
> > > participating in the circular dependency and others waiting for the
> > > events in the circle are stuck until it gets broken. Otherwise, say,
> > > if it's not meant, then it's anyway problematic.
> > >
> > > 1-1. What if we judge this code is problematic?
> > > 1-2. What if we judge this code is good?
> > >
> > > I've been wondering if the kernel guys esp. Linus considers code with
> > > any circular dependency is problematic or not, even if it won't lead to
> > > a deadlock, say, case 1. Even though I designed Dept based on what I
> > > believe is right, of course, I'm willing to change the design according
> > > to the majority opinion.
> > >
> > > However, I would never allow case 1 if I were the owner of the kernel
> > > for better stability, even though the code works anyway okay for now.
>
> Note, I used the example of the timeout as the most obvious way of
> explaining that a deadlock is not possible. There is also the much
> more complex explanation which Jan was trying to give, which is what
> leads to the circular dependency. It can happen that when trying to
> start a handle, if either (a) there is not enough space in the journal
> for new handles, or (b) the current transaction is so large that if we
> don't close the transaction and start a new hone, we will end up
> running out of space in the future, and so in that case,
> start_this_handle() will block starting any more handles, and then
> wake up the commit thread. The commit thread then waits for the
> currently running threads to complete, before it allows new handles to
> start, and then it will complete the commit. In the case of (a) we
> then need to do a journal checkpoint, which is more work to release
> space in the journal, and only then, can we allow new handles to start.

Thank you for the full explanation of how journal things work.

> The botom line is (a) it works, (b) there aren't significant delays,
> and for DEPT to complain that this is somehow wrong and we need to
> completely rearchitect perfectly working code because it doesn't
> confirm to DEPT's idea of what is "correct" is not acceptable.

Thanks to you and Jan Kara, I realized it's not a real dependency in the
consumer and producer scenario but again *ONLY IF* there is a rescue
wakeup source. Dept should track the rescue wakeup source instead in the
case.

I won't ask you to rearchitect the working code. The code looks sane.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks,
Byungchul