Re: linux-next: manual merge of the char-misc tree with the mfd tree

From: Lee Jones
Date: Wed Mar 02 2022 - 03:00:47 EST

On Tue, 01 Mar 2022, Greg KH wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 10:54:57AM +0000, Lee Jones wrote:

> > > But what else is another maintainer supposed to think if they see that
> > > ack on the patch? Ignore it? I took that to mean "this is good from a
> > > mfd-point-of-view" which meant it can go through whatever tree it is
> > > supposed to.
> > >
> > > Are you wanting this individual patch to go through your tree now only?
> > > If so, you should say that by NOT acking it :)
> >
> > It's not quite as easy as that.
> >
> > It wouldn't be fair to the contributor to start reviews once all the
> > other patches in the set are ready to be merged. So how would I
> > indicate that the MFD part is ready, fully expecting some of the other
> > patches in the set to be reworked and subsequent revisions are to be
> > submitted?
>
> But from an "outside" observer, this patch series seemed to have acks
> from all maintainers, yet no one was taking it. Which is why I picked
> it up (someone asked me to.) Having the subsystem maintainer ack it
> implied to me that there was no problem. Odd that you later on had one :)

I understand the problem and I'm not blaming you for your assumptions.

Can you recommend a better solution though?

To be fair this very seldom causes issues.

And now you know, you know. :)

> > > How do you want to see this merged?
> >
> > The plan is for the whole set to be merged together via MFD.
> >
> > All of the other maintainers have now Acked, so it's ready to go:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220131133049.77780-1-robert.marko@xxxxxxxxxx/
> >
> > Looking at the diff, I'm not entirely sure why you took it in the
> > first place?
>
> As I mentioned above, someone else asked me to as it was sitting around
> for quite a while with no movement.

Probably better for them to reply to the 0th patch in the first instance.

--
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Principal Technical Lead - Developer Services