Re: [Question] set_cpus_allowed_ptr() call failed at cpuset_attach()

From: Zhang Qiao
Date: Thu Jan 20 2022 - 02:14:42 EST

hello

在 2022/1/19 21:02, Michal Koutný 写道:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 09:15:06AM +0800, Zhang Qiao <zhangqiao22@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I found the following warning log on qemu. I migrated a task from one cpuset cgroup to
>> another, while I also performed the cpu hotplug operation, and got following calltrace.
>
> Do you have more information on what hotplug event and what error
> (from set_cpus_allowed_ptr() you observe? (And what's src/dst cpuset wrt
> root/non-root)?
I ran the LTP testcases and a test scripts that do hotplug on a random cpu at the same time.
The race condition quickly, and I can't reproduce it so far.
By reading code about set_cpus_allowed_ptr(), i think __set_cpus_allowed_ptr_locked() will
be failed when new_mask and cpu_active_mask do not intersect, as follows:

__set_cpus_allowed_ptr_locked():
const struct cpumask *cpu_valid_mask = cpu_active_mask;
dest_cpu = cpumask_any_and_distribute(cpu_valid_mask, new_mask);
if (dest_cpu >= nr_cpu_ids) {
ret = -EINVAL;
goto out;
}
}

>> Can we use cpus_read_lock()/cpus_read_unlock() to guarantee that set_cpus_allowed_ptr()
>> doesn't fail, as follows:
>
> I'm wondering what can be wrong with the current actors:
>
> cpuset_can_attach
> down_read(cpuset_rwsem)
> // check all migratees
> up_read(cpuset_rwsem)
> [ _cpu_down / cpuhp_setup_state ]
> schedule_work
> cpuset_hotplug_update_tasks
> down_write(cpuset_rwsem)
> up_write(cpuset_rwsem)
> ... flush_work
> [ _cpu_down / cpu_up_down_serialize_trainwrecks ]
> cpuset_attach
> down_write(cpuset_rwsem)
> set_cpus_allowed_ptr(allowed_cpus_weird)
> up_write(cpuset_rwsem)

i think the troublesome scenario as follows:
cpuset_can_attach
down_read(cpuset_rwsem)
// check all migratees
up_read(cpuset_rwsem)
[ _cpu_down / cpuhp_setup_state ]
cpuset_attach
down_write(cpuset_rwsem)
guarantee_online_cpus() // (load cpus_attach)
sched_cpu_deactivate
set_cpu_active(cpu, false) // will change cpu_active_mask
set_cpus_allowed_ptr(cpus_attach)
__set_cpus_allowed_ptr_locked()
// (if the intersection of cpus_attach and
cpu_active_mask is empty, will return -EINVAL)
up_write(cpuset_rwsem)
schedule_work
cpuset_hotplug_update_tasks
down_write(cpuset_rwsem)
up_write(cpuset_rwsem)
... flush_work
[ _cpu_down / cpu_up_down_serialize_trainwrecks ]

Regards,
Qiao