Re: [GIT PULL] pin control changes for v5.17

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 12 2022 - 14:09:47 EST

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 3:23 AM Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - There will be conflicts! Kconfig and Makefile conflicts due to
> some RISC-V Starfive patches getting merged through the
> SoC tree while we were tidying up the Kconfig and Makefile
> (to avoid merge conflicts, heh) there is a resolution in linux-next
> which was discussed and reviewed to be correct.

Whoever sorted the Makefile entries (yeah, it was Andy) isn't very good at it.

The broken sorting put CONFIG_PINCTRL_STMFX before CONFIG_PINCTRL_ST,
and I have no idea how you can sort that way.

I left the broken sorting in place, because changing the sort order in
the merge would just be even *more* confusing.

There may be other cases of that kind of oddity, I just happened to
notice that one because the 'starfive' thing ended up having that same
'st' beginning, and I went D'Oh when trying to make sure my merge kept
the ordering.

The sort order is fine in the Kconfig file. Maybe some odd sorting got
confused by the next non-letter character (either ')' after the config
name, or '.o' of the object file name).

Obviously not a big deal, but it's an oddity.

Linus