Re: Phyr Starter

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Tue Jan 11 2022 - 10:02:25 EST

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 04:32:56AM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 08:41:26PM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 07:34:49PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > > Finally, it may be possible to stop using scatterlist to describe the
> > > input to the DMA-mapping operation. We may be able to get struct
> > > scatterlist down to just dma_address and dma_length, with chaining
> > > handled through an enclosing struct.
> >
> > Can you talk about this some more? IMHO one of the key properties of
> > the scatterlist is that it can hold huge amounts of pages without
> > having to do any kind of special allocation due to the chaining.
> >
> > The same will be true of the phyr idea right?
>
> My thinking is that we'd pass a relatively small array of phyr (maybe 16
> entries) to get_user_phyr(). If that turned out not to be big enough,
> then we have two options; one is to map those 16 ranges with sg and use
> the sg chaining functionality before throwing away the phyr and calling
> get_user_phyr() again.

Then we are we using get_user_phyr() at all if we are just storing it
in a sg?

Also 16 entries is way to small, it should be at least a whole PMD
worth so we don't have to relock the PMD level each iteration.

I would like to see a flow more like:

cpu_phyr_list = get_user_phyr(uptr, 1G);
dma_phyr_list = dma_map_phyr(device, cpu_phyr_list);
[..]
dma_unmap_phyr(device, dma_phyr_list);
unpin_drity_free(cpu_phy_list);

Where dma_map_phyr() can build a temporary SGL for old iommu drivers
compatability. iommu drivers would want to implement natively, of
course.

ie no loops in drivers.

> The question is whether this is the right kind of optimisation to be
> doing. I hear you that we want a dense format, but it's questionable
> whether the kind of thing you're suggesting is actually denser than this
> scheme. For example, if we have 1GB pages and userspace happens to have
> allocated pages (3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) then this can be represented
> as a single phyr. A power-of-two scheme would have us use four entries
> (3, 4-7, 8-9, 10).

That is not quite what I had in mind..

struct phyr_list {
unsigned int first_page_offset_bytes;
size_t total_length_bytes;
phys_addr_t min_alignment;
struct packed_phyr *list_of_pages;
};

Where each 'packed_phyr' is an aligned page of some kind. The packing
has to be able to represent any number of pfns, so we have four major
cases:
- 4k pfns (use 8 bytes)
- Natural order pfn (use 8 bytes)
- 4k aligned pfns, arbitary number (use 12 bytes)
- <4k aligned, arbitary length (use 16 bytes?)

In all cases the interior pages are fully used, only the first and
last page is sliced based on the two parameters in the phyr_list.

The first_page_offset_bytes/total_length_bytes mean we don't need to
use the inefficient coding for many common cases, just stick to the 4k
coding and slice the first/last page down.

The last case is, perhaps, a possible route to completely replace
scatterlist. Few places need true byte granularity for interior pages,
so we can invent some coding to say 'this is 8 byte aligned, and n
bytes long' that only fits < 4k or something. Exceptional cases can
then still work. I'm not sure what block needs here - is it just 512?

Basically think of list_of_pages as showing a contiguous list of at
least min_aligned pages and first_page_offset_bytes/total_length_bytes
taking a byte granular slice out of that logical range.

>From a HW perspective I see two basic modalities:

- Streaming HW, which read/writes in a single pass (think
NVMe/storage/network). Usually takes a list of dma_addr_t and
length that HW just walks over. Rarely cares about things like page
boundaries. Optimization goal is to minimize list length. In this
case we map each packed_phyr into a HW SGL

- Random Access HW, which is randomly touching memory (think RDMA,
VFIO, DRM, IOMMU). Usually stores either a linear list of same-size
dma_addr_t pages, or a radix tree page table of dma_addr_t.
Needs to have a minimum alignment of each chunk (usually 4k) to
represent it. Optimization goal is to have maximum page size. In
this case we use min_alignment to size the HW array and decode the
packed_phyrs into individual pages.

> Using a (dma_addr, size_t) tuple makes coalescing adjacent pages very
> cheap.

With the above this still works, the very last entry in list_of_pages
would be the 12 byte pfn type and when we start a new page the logic
would then optimize it down to 8 bytes, if possible. At that point we
know we are not going to change it:

- An interior page that is up perfectly aligned is represented as a
natural order
- A starting page that ends on perfect alignment is widened to
natural order and first_page_offset_bytes is corrected
- An ending page that starts on perfect alignment is widened to
natural order and total_length_bytes is set
(though no harm in keeping the 12 byte represetation I suppose)

The main detail is to make the extra 4 bytes needed to store the
arbtiary pfn counts optional so when we don't need it, it isn't there.

> > VFIO would like this structure as well as it currently is a very
> > inefficient page at a time loop when it iommu maps things.
>
> I agree that you need these things. I think I'll run into trouble
> if I try to do them for you ... so I'm going to stop after doing the
> top end (pinning pages and getting them into an sg list) and let
> people who know that area better than I do work on that.

I agree, that is why I was asking for the datastructure 'phyr_list',
with chaining and so on.

I would imagine a few steps to this process:
1) 'phyr_list' datastructure, with chaining, pre-allocation, etc
2) Wrapper around existing gup to get a phyr_list for user VA
3) Compat 'dma_map_phyr()' that coverts a phyr_list to a sgl and back
(However, with full performance for iommu passthrough)
4) Patches changing RDMA/VFIO/DRM to this API
5) Patches optimizing get_user_phyr()
6) Patches implementing dma_map_phyr in the AMD or Intel IOMMU driver

Obviously not all done by you.. I'm happy to help and take a swing at
the RDMA and VFIO parts.

I feel like we can go ahead with RDMA so long as the passthrough IOMMU
case is 100% efficient. VFIO is already maximually inefficient here,
so no worry there already. If VFIO and RDMA consume these APIs then
the server IOMMU driver owners should have a strong motivation to
implement.

My feeling is that at the core this project is about making a better
datastructure than scattterlist that can mostly replace it, then going
around the kernel and converting scatterlist users.

Given all the usage considerations I think it is an interesting
datastructure.

Jason