Re: [RFC 00/13] kprobe/bpf: Add support to attach multiple kprobes

From: Alexei Starovoitov
Date: Thu Jan 06 2022 - 12:40:32 EST

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 5:59 AM Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That seems to bind your mind. The program type is just a programing
> 'model' of the bpf. You can choose the best implementation to provide
> equal functionality. 'kprobe' in bpf is just a name that you call some
> instrumentations which can probe kernel code.

No. We're not going to call it "fprobe" or any other name.
>From bpf user's pov it's going to be "multi attach kprobe",
because this is how everyone got to know kprobes.
The 99% usage is at the beginning of the funcs.
When users say "kprobe" they don't care how kernel attaches it.
The func entry limitation for "multi attach kprobe" is a no-brainer.

And we need both "multi attach kprobe" and "multi attach kretprobe"
at the same time. It's no go to implement one first and the other
some time later.