Re: Occasional hung with UM after enable VMAP_STACK

From: Walter Lozano
Date: Wed Jan 05 2022 - 07:59:19 EST

Hi Johannes,

On 1/4/22 16:49, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Tue, 2022-01-04 at 16:26 -0300, Walter Lozano wrote:
Thank you for your quick response. The Debian configuration on package
user-mode-linux have these settings

CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_VMAP_STACK=y
CONFIG_VMAP_STACK=y
OK, so it actually _is_ enabled.

as you can see in [1]. I did run some tests disabling those settings,
which passed without any hung.

Unfortunately the "occasional" behavior makes this issue a bit tricky to
debug.

Right.

Hm. I've been running our tests with it for about three months and
haven't observed any hangs, but I guess that doesn't mean much.

The issue is very rare at least in my setup, I had to prepare a test environment to stress the system in order to be able to reproduce it more or less consistently. I will continue investigating and share any useful information.

To be honest, I have no particular reason to even want it, other than
that it catches accidental DMA from stack more easily ... so I guess if
we can't find anything, we might as well revert it.

I hope we will be able to find the root cause of the issue.

Feels like it _should_ work though, since it's just a different location
for the stack.

I see. Thank you again for your quick reply, I will keep you updated.

Regards,

Walter

--
Walter Lozano